Saturday 11 September 2010

My A to Z of DVDs - B

So we are onto and have finished the Bs - this has covered a trilogy, some history and some Disney


So here's what I thought:


Back to the Future - 6.5/10
Ok so this is where everyone starts hating me but I didn't really enjoy this - I have seen it several times and I guess now it's just a little bit boring! I love Doc Brown as a character but I'm afraid this film is a little over-hyped and for me isn't as good as everyone makes out. It's watchable don't get me wrong but not really much more


Back to the Future 2 - 5/10
Easily the worst of the Trilogy this sequel is actually just a muddled rehash of number 1 and does very little by way of story development - it's a bit like the TV remake of a classic film - just doesn't quite work! I found it frustrating and actually just quite annoying and a lazy way to make a film last. Deffo not a fan of this one


Back to the Future 3 - 7/10
This instalment of the Trilogy is good fun and it's different enough that it actually can stand alone as opposed to number 2. The Wild West theme is good as well as the end swerve with Doc and I have to say my favourite instalment of the Trilogy overall because you can see the changes actually occuring in the film


**A word on the Trilogy** - Everyone owns the Back to the Future Trilogy they don't know why but they do they are just films people have and they are classics from that era but as a whole the Trilogy isn't actually that good (maybe it was watching all 3 across 3 nights that did it)


Bad Santa - 6/10
Criminals, midgets, grandmas, department stores, weird kid and a sex scene with thephrase 'Fu*k me Santa'. Yep this film is warped in a big way!! I don't really know how to describe it - 2 criminals rob department stores every Christmas by being Santa and his Elf, one gets a mini-crisis of conscience but only after taking advantage of a weird kid who it's really hard not to feel so sorry for!! It is watchable - it makes very little sense but you do find yourself really hoping things turn out good for the strange kid and that keeps you watching. It is worth watching just to think what the hell was the writer on when putting this together


Baseketball - 6/10
I remember the first time I watched this film I thought it was well funny - Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the South Park creators, generally being themselves in a film about a strange game. The next time I watched it I realised that actually this film is a little stupid, not that funny really and is only watchable if you want to see something you don't have to concentrate on at all - very much a kind of Chewing Gum for the eyes film.


Beauty and the Beast - 9/10
I love this film - it is Disney at it's finest. The story, the characters, the songs and one of it's strengths is the depth of characters (you find yourself wanting to know what Mrs Potts; Chip; and Maurice are doing as well as the main characters). I also will admit this DVD cost me £40. It was one of those that you could only buy on Ebay and I got a bit carried away, Disney had deleted it from their library - they are re-releasing it this November. The soundtrack features on my Ipod and I haven't yet met anyone that dislikes the whole story. A Disney classic and one of my favourites


Bedknobs and Broomsticks - 7.5/10
In my opinion this is one of Disneys most under-rated films. It is really good fun youfind yourself singing along to the songs (though there are a few that are quite annoying and don't need to be in there). Angela Lansbury plays her role excellently as the not-so talented witch but my favourite character is little Paul who is the youngest and has some classic lines especially when no-one listens to him about his book containing the words 'traguna macoities tracorum satis de' (bet you havethe song in your head now). There are similarities to Mary Poppins - same father character etc, but it is a good well put together film and the backdrop of the War gives it that grounded feel of real-life combining with fantasy


Beyond the Mat - 8/10
This Wrestling Documentary is very well done. It focuses not only on the big WWF but also ECW and follows old wrestlers around the Independent circuit. It shows you both character development and the human side to wrestlers as well as some of the darker sides to the personal lives of wrestlers like Jake the Snake! The features on Mick Foley and Terry Funk are excellent and this DVD is definately reccomended even if you aren't a wrestling fan


Big Daddy - 8.5/10
"But after my nap I always watch the Kangaroo song" "No sit still, LAY" Big Daddy is quality - no it doesn't have the most dynamic plot but it is a feel-good film that also manages to make you feel quite upset, with some awesome activities thrown into the film itself. It is a typical Adam Sandler film with some quality one-liners, and the way that Julian/Frankenstein is portrayed puts a smile on your face. I overwatched this film in my first year of Uni but it remains really good fun. If you haven't seen it you really should


Big Momma's House - 6.5/10
I used to like this film and there are glimpses of fun in it but the more I see it the less I like it. It is a stupid concept and whilst meant to be a comedy too much of the film remains unamusing and just a little bit stuoid. It's another that falls into the Chewing Gum for the eyes category you can watch it when you want to go to sleep because you just don't need to concentrate


Boyz N the Hood - 9.5/10
Increase the Peace!! This film has it all - the real life drama, the transition from youth to adult; and the gritty way it approaches it. I challenge anyone not to cry during it but the story represents what for many is real life. It pulls no punches in apporaching it showing the different way that people react comparing the lives of Trey, Ricky and Doughboy. I think this is Cuba Gooding Jr's best film by far and also shows Ice Cubes acting ability. The star though is Laurence Fishbourne and his portrayal of Furious Styles is inspiring and should have warranted an Oscar nomination. When you finish watching this film you do get that WOW feeling and this remains one of my favourite movies of all time


Brother Bear - 7.5/10
So yeah another Disney film. Brother Bear is one of the lesser known films and the story is a bit bizarre - man ignores totem, spirits turn him into a bear, finds a little bear who it turns out he killed the little bears mother, the day is saved at the end. It sounds naff and it is a little but it also has some really good songs from Tina Turner and Phil Collins and follows the classic Disney formula which is what I love


Brotherhood of Murder - 6.5/10
I bought this from the Poundshop, don't know why but it looked interesting. It's based on a true story about The Order, a White Supremacist group in America. The story is fu*ked up there's no other way to describe it. The film isn't put together very well and it is quite bitty, it actually was a drama made for TV in America. I found myself doing more reading after watching it about The Order and what they and their leader Bob Mathews were all about and carried out. Murders, robberies and a fanatic cult. It does make you wonder what the hell goes on in some people's heads but there you go. Not a great film but it did leave you thinking about some of the problems in society with people like this roaming the earth


Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - 7/10
Based on the the last 2 chapters of the book by Dee Brown about an Indian History of the American West, which is a bestseller, this is an HBO adaptation. The film itself is a really interesting insight into what happened to the American Indians and the way they were screwed over by the US Government and how they were manipulated. The film is good in places and drags in other places and I would have liked more on Chief Sitting Bull and a closer look at his story but it is watchable and a good introduction for people to start learning the history and abuses that the American Indians faced.


So that's the Bs done! Two of my favourite films featured in this and it's going to be a nightmae waiting so long to watch them again but staying true to it I am now moving onto the Cs which also encompasses a trilogy and a Disney film thrown in a well


Hope you enjoyed the A to Z of DVDs beginning with B (and I am sure many of you will disagree about Back to the Future)

No comments:

Post a Comment